Half of Workers in Manchester Have Made A Bad First Impression When Starting a New Job
| 29th May 2018
Turning up late wearing the wrong attire and bumping a colleague’s vehicle in the car park are among the worst first impressions made by new employees among the Manchester workforce, according to research.
The online poll of workers in the city reveals that the first day at work can be a humiliating affair if things don’t go to plan.
Other blunders include arriving to find you are completely over-dressed, spilling tea everywhere, getting lost en route to the office and saying something inappropriate because you’re nervous.
Almost half of workers from the city have had a terrible first day at a new job, with 95% stressing how important it is to them to make a good first impression on others.
And more than three quarters (82%) believe they’re more likely to make a positive impact on their first day if they know they’ve got their clothing spot on.
The study was commissioned by 4imprint, as part of its ‘First Impressions’ campaign, having recently released a new range of corporate clothing to help UK organisations and their employees create a strong and lasting impression.
Commenting on the research, a spokesperson for 4imprint, said: “A decision can be made about a person within 26 seconds of meeting them – which is why appearance is so important.
“Corporate work wear can provide reassurance to new starters and if your organisation operates in the service or retail sector then staff uniforms can also be vitally important for customers.”
According to the survey, workers admitted to having turned up on their first day either being wildly under or overdressed.
More than seven in 10 employees (72%) wish they had a uniform for work, claiming it would have made their first day – and consequently first impressions – easier to manage.
MANCHESTER WORKERS’ TOP 30 FIRST-DAY NIGHTMARES
- Learned someone’s name then immediately forgotten it
- Got someone’s name wrong
- Was just too nervous
- Finding I had no computer / desk to work at
- Said something stupid due to nerves
- Arrived at the wrong work address
- Turned up completely overdressed compared to everyone else
- Worn shoes that ended up being agonisingly painful by the end of the day
- Had to have something simple explained numerous times
- Got there late due to traffic
- Being told I wasn’t the ‘first choice candidate’
- Forgotten the code to get in or out of the office
- Got there late due to public transport problems
- Put your foot in your mouth during a conversation with someone
- Turned up completely underdressed compared to everyone else
- Been over friendly
- Accidentally sent a sensitive email as a ‘staff all’
- Made someone’s tea wrong
- Said something inappropriate to a new colleague
- Got there late due to other reasons
- Damaged company property
- Spilled tea everywhere
- Took too long on a lunch break
- Got the company name wrong
- Went to the wrong address
- Asked how to turn your computer on
- Had a wardrobe malfunction like trousers splitting
- Took a personal call that was frowned upon
- Worn a tie when nobody else was wearing one
- Had to leave early due to a family emergency.