Spring recipes that you can cook for your family
| 28th February 2019
When the weather gets warmer, the flowers start to bloom, and days become sunny and less gloomy, that’s when you know you need to change up your dinner menu for the week!
Springtime is an opportunity for outdoor cooking, family BBQ parties, and fun and zesty meals.
Say goodbye to wholesome and hearty meals that keep you warm at night, and welcome in easy casseroles, quick skillet recipes, and great BBQ meals.
VIVA has gathered some spring recipe ideas that will surely inspire you at your next family cook off!
Lamb Chops with Roasted Potatoes
Roasting or smoking meat has got to be the best way to welcome the spring season. However, the trick is knowing when your meat is ready to be consumed. Whether you’re using a grill or a smoker, you need to have the right meat thermometer so it can tell you the accurate temperature. There are many grill or smoker options out there when it comes to choosing the right thermometer. Online reviews claim that they will help you determine if your meat is fully cooked, safe, and ultimately juicy. Once found, then let the cooking games begin!
For this recipe, all you need is:
- 8 lamb chops (2 pounds worth) with bone-in
- ¼ chopped red onion
- Salt and pepper
- Rosemary, sage, thyme
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of Honey
- One pound of baby potatoes
- ¼ cup of mint
- 1 pound of small radishes
- Get your smoker/oven/grill ready as you trim off excess fat from your chops.
- Combine all herbs with the olive oil until it becomes a paste. Then rub the lamb chops with it thoroughly. You can pre-marinade your lamb chops a day ahead.
- Place the lamb chops on the smoker for 45 minutes at 225 degrees. Internal temperature should read 125 for medium-rare and 145 for medium-well.
- Roast your potatoes and radishes, and arrange them on the plate.
Baked Ziti with Spring Vegetables
This recipe is quick, easy, and ideal to take advantage of the vegetables you’ve hunted down at the farmer’s market. It’s juicy, zesty, and light. Be sure to get the best cheese, veggies, and enjoy it with your friends and family.
- 1 pound of ziti pasta
- 2 and a ½ pounds of zucchini and yellow squash
- 2 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ½ grated Romano cheese
- 1 and a ½ cup of Mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil, chopped
- White wine vinegar
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1 jar of marinara sauce
- 2 cups of ricotta cheese
- Cook your pasta in salted water until it becomes al dente and let it cool.
- Spread all your vegetables on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Make sure you cut your squash and zucchini into ½ inch rounds. Broil them for 10 minutes or until slightly charred.
- Mix together the cheese; mix Romano and ricotta with the basil, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and salt and pepper. Set this mixture aside.
- Add the marinara sauce onto the pasta, and place a single layer in a baking dish. Then, add a little bit of the cheese mixture on top.
- Add another layer of pasta followed by the cheese mixture.
- Top the oven dish evenly with a layer of mozzarella.
- Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 F.
- Use the rest of the basil as garnish.
Zesty Lemon Squares
Lemon bars have always been a hit come spring or summer, and you’ll be glad to know that they’re fairly easy to make. Your family and friends will go nuts over their zesty, light, and airy dessert.
- 2 cups of flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups of sugar
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- Spread a baking sheet or aluminum foil in your 13×9 inch pan.
- Cut your cold butter into pieces, and mix the flour and powdered sugar together. Then add the butter to that mixture and stir them well until they’re crumbled.
- Add this mixture to the pan and spread it evenly. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until smooth, then add lemon zest and lemon juice. Add baking powder and around ¼ cup of flour.
- Pour this mixture onto the baked crust and bake again for about 20 minutes. When done, let it cool.
- Remove from pan, cut into squares and sprinkle powdered sugar.
Spring is the perfect time to make use of fresh fruits and vegetables and include them in your recipes. Spring meals are healthy, fresh, and light – which makes them perfect for a nice family dinner or a BBQ with your friends in the backyard. So get your cooking tools ready, and make a memorable meal to welcome in the spring season!